In this tutorial we will discuss how to make a ring flash for your dslr camera which is extremely useful for macro work. It is made out of an aluminium shop light shade. Here's a picture of the finished product.
|DIY Ring Flash|
List of Materials needed for making DIY Ring Flash
- One 4"-5" galvanized vent reducer (coupler) available at home depot costing approximately $6.
- One aluminium shop light shade (10 1/2" clamp reflector light) available at home depot for about $10.
- One 1 1/4" galvanized bar stock 3 feet approximately $7 (1-1/4" x 1/8" x 36" metal bar).
- roll carpet tape (heavy duty double sided tape)
- double sided foam tape roll
- 1/4" thumb screw to fasten camera
- 3/16" screws, nuts and lock washer/washers to fasten bracket to reflector
- JB weld epoxy
- fabric tape to cover flash hole rough opening
- flat balck spray paint and primer
- michael's fun foam 8 1/2" x 11" sheet (black)
- Chefmate cutting mat 4 pack for flash diffuser
Tools Required for making DIY Ring Flash
- Drum sander
- Sand Paper
- Steel Pop Rivets
- Tin snips / Meal Sheers
Here's the first part of the video tutorial
And here's part 2
Notice the extra layer of diffusing material at the 5 to 7 o-clocked position (in the picture given below). This is due to the flash head entering the 6 o-clock position thus creating a hot-spot.
|DIY Ring Flash Tutorial|
Here's a picture from the construction phase.
|Ring Flash - DIY Photography|
And finally some shots taken with the diy ring flash for your inspiration.
|diy ring flash for your dslr|
|diy ring flash strobist|
|diy photography ring flash|
|DIY Ring Flash Video Tutorial|
|How to Make a DIY Ring Flash|
Have Fun: Roy Niswanger